I'm totally stoked to see that the authors of The Universal Principles of Design took onboard my recommendation to include Desire Lines in their next edition and to see how graciously they have referenced my suggestion and my little bit of work on this (see the article below, "Commerical Success by Looking for Desire Lines").
Here are the articles that Carl has written, links to resources and book recommendations.
How to build a website blog - Carl's blog containing many notes on how to build a website for yourself. Topics vary from Search Engine Optimisation to notes on how to put a Flickr Slideshow on your website.
User Experience blog - Carl's blog about various User Experience Design subjects ranging from, how to find a job in this field, to a summary of interesting Visualisation examples.
Articles and Talks
A selection of articles and talks.
- Carl Myhill, "The Importance of Goals in Design", Presented at an Industry Event of the Usability Professionals Assocation (UPA) Christchurch branch (The Canterbury Innovation Incubator, Christchurch, New Zealand, 25th November 2004)
Download available, including photos of the cardboard ATM!: Powerpoint presentation (3.6Mb)
- Carl Myhill, "Goal-Directed Design for Real", Presented at Usability Professionals Assocation (UPA) Christchurch branch meeting (The Canterbury Innovation Incubator, Christchurch, New Zealand, 20th September 2004)
Available on request.
- Carl Myhill, "Goal-Directed Design of the User Experience for Enterprise Applications", Presented at GE Network Reliability Products and Services (NRPS) User Group Meeting (Auckland, New Zealand, 25th August 2004)
- Carl Myhill, "Commerical Success by Looking for Desire Lines", in Masoodian, M, Jones, S, Rogers B, (Eds.) 6th Asia Pacific Computer-Human Interaction Conference (APCHI 2004), (Rotorua, New Zealand, June/July 2004). Springer-Verlag.
Downloads available: Full Paper (PDF - 825KB), Talk (PowerPoint - 2MB), Images (Zipped - 1.8MB)
- Carl Myhill, "Get your product used in anger! (before assuming you understand its requirements)", Interactions, volume 10, issue 3, May and June 2003. ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 12-17
Download available: Full Paper (PDF - 241k), Official version available from ACM Library (membership required)
- Carl Myhill, Sue Foster, "Usability - Designing an application with the user in mind", Presented at GE Network Solutions 2002 Conference (Keystone, Colorado, USA, October 2002)
- C. Myhill, Facilitating the Comprehension of Human-Computer Interaction Design Intent within a Software Team, PhD Thesis, Cranfield University, Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK, 1998
Available on loan from British Library Public Catalogue - choose 'Search', then select 'All Material' and type "myhill, carl" into the Author field. Or you can download it here Thesis (Zipped Word Docs - 1MB), Appendices (Zipped Word Docs - 688KB)
- Carl Myhill, Peter Brooks, "Communicating human-computer interaction design intent: requirements for recycling throwaway prototypes", in Don Harris (ed.) First International Conference on Engineering Psychology and Cognitive Ergonomics, volume two, (Statford-upon-Avon, 1997), Ashgate, UK, pp. 379-386
Proceedings available from Amazon (or on request for a copy of the paper)
- Carl Myhill, Steve Cocker, Peter Brooks, "A Practical Prototyping Process for Human-Centred Software Development: When, Why and How to Prototype", In Ancillary Proceedings of HCI 94 People and Computers IX (Glasgow, Scotland, UK, 1994), British Computer Society
- Carl Myhill, "HHI in GUI, OK?", Presented at Design for Clear Communication (British HCI Group Seminar, London, UK, October, 1993).
- C. Myhill, The application of machine learning to the prediction of alloy additives, MSc Thesis (Artificial Intelligence), Cranfield University, Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK, 1992
- C. Myhill, Project Management Software and its potential in Natwest Systems Development, BSc Thesis (Maths for Business), Middlesex University, London, UK, 1991